I was delighted that I was able to make these amazing allergy-free coconut macaroons using almost entirely coconut-sourced ingredients. Opening the fresh coconut was truly a fun and unique experience for me, as well as entertaining for my 2-year-old son to watch. Using the coconut milk that I made from the fresh coconut, gave these macaroons a really intense coconut flavor. Just look at these toasted golden, crowd-pleasing, and bite-sized creations. Are they the guilt-free party sweets you’re looking for?
For those of you with special dietary restrictions, do you ever feel awkward when having to ask about ingredients in dishes at a party? Because I’m on the gluten-free diet, I have to do this all the time unless it’s clearly labeled as “Gluten-Free”; otherwise I just stay away from the food.
Beginning this fall, I’ve been involved with International Neighbors of Ann Arbor, a non-profit organization that connects women from different countries to share their cultures and learn from each other. Last week, I was busy participating in several group parties and holiday celebrations with a delightful group of international ladies. I co-hosted a tea table with one of my friends at a fantastic tea party.
My friend asked me to bring a Chinese dessert that goes good with green tea. After careful consideration, I finally made my choice: these healthy coconut macaroons, because I want to offer some thing that is:
Tree nuts free
Low in sugar (especially refined)
Bite-size (easy to serve and transport)
Easy to make
In this recipe I used unsweetened organic coconut shreds, freshly made coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut sugar, pure stevia extract powder, and a little bit of corn starch (replacing the traditional egg white) to make the dough hold together. It took me approximately 30 minutes to make 20 pieces. Once they are baked golden brown and completely cooled down, it’s ready to pack and go to the party. How simple is that?
At the end of our tea party, there were barely any macaroons left. Both gluten-free and non-gluten-free people loved them. I hope you enjoy these bite-size, golden brown, rich coconut macaroons just like we do.
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened organic coconut
- ½ cup coconut milk (full fat from a can or freshly homemade), lukewarm
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, soft but not liquid
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure stevia extract powder (“Now” brand)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or palm sugar
- Preheat oven at 375 °F and line a metal baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Gently scoop 1 tablespoon of the coconut mix and carefully drop on the prepared baking sheet. Use a small cookie scoop (1 tablespoon) if necessary.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20 minutes or until the edges and bottom are slightly brown.
- Bump up your oven to its highest temperature and bake for 3 minutes or until the coconut macaroons are golden brown.
- Cool completely on a cooling rack and serve.