Do you prefer eating broccoli raw or cooked? I rarely eat broccoli raw, and neither do my Chinese friends. Cooked broccoli is often found in many Americanized Chinese foods. However, I was totally in love with this raw, skinny vegan broccoli salad that is immersed in a homemade creamy and cheesy dressing. This is definitely a healthier and lighter version than the broccoli salad that uses mayonnaise, buttermilk, and bacon.
If you have read some of my posts before, you probably know I’m quite concerned about my 3-year-old son, Leo’s vegetable consumption. After talking to other mothers who have toddlers, I realized that compared to them, he eats a lot of a variety of vegetables, such as kale, green beans, beets, cauliflower, carrots, Brussels sprouts, and spinach, etc. Of course, some of them are shredded and mixed in soups.
Over the last year, his favorite vegetable dish is steamed broccoli dipped in peanut butter. Does that sound interesting? Recently, my mother-in-law made a broccoli salad that Leo enjoyed very much. I was surprised that he would eat broccoli RAW!
I was delighted when he said he liked this vegan version of broccoli salad. Besides broccoli, I also added dried goji berries, roasted walnuts, and fresh black berries. This is a fantastic combination of flavors, textures, and colors. However, the dressing is the key to this salad. I used:
Coconut milk, full fat from a can
Apple cider vinegar
Hemp seeds, ground
The addition of nutritional yeast will give a cheesy taste. I added all of the dressing ingredients into a blender and blended it until it was creamy.
This salad tastes best when it is marinated in the dressing overnight. Does that sound perfect for your busy life? You can prepare it during the weekend and enjoy on the busy weekdays. Or, you can make it ahead of time before your big party. It contains much less calories, sugar, and fat than the version that uses dairy dressing.
- 9 oz broccoli crowns
- ¼ cup roasted walnut
- 1 tablespoon dry goji berries
- 3 oz black berries, halved
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk, from can
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Trim off the hard stem of broccoli crowns and cut the broccoli into bite sized pieces. Rinse and drain. Set aside in a mixing bowl.
- In a coffee grinder, grind the hemp seeds. Transfer it into a blender. Add the remaining dressing ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth.
- Gently toss the broccoli with the dressing. Store in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Before serving, add walnut, goji berries, and halved black berries into the bowl with broccoli. Gently toss again.