When a pure white blanket of snow covers everything outside, having a pot of toasty warm, well cooked potato is nothing but wonderful. With a minimal amount of kitchen time, all you need to prepare this dish is patience. Let this drool-worthy dish simmer to perfection in your slow cooker while you relax on the couch with your favorite book. Hooray for the slow cooker!
I used to cook with my slow cooker a few times a week while I was in graduate school. Brad bought me a timer so I transferred my inexpensive slow cooker into a deluxe programmable timed cooker. This allowed me to start and stop the cooking of meat dishes at the precise time while I was at school. Since our diet is more plant-based these days, I moved my slow cooker to the not-often-used-tool zone in my kitchen.
Root vegetables were staple winter food when I was growing up. My mom would often make a carrot and potato stew. With winter here again, it’s time to wake up my slow cooker. I added some pre-soaked shiitake mushrooms, carrots, and potatoes with some fennel seeds in the slow cooker. A few hours later, the smell in the house evoked memories from the past from when I was a kid.
Cooking shiitake mushrooms can sometimes require a longer simmering time to make them soft. For this reason, using the slow cooker is definitely your best choice. During the slow cooking/simmer time, all the meaty and woody flavors of shiitake mushrooms are infused into the carrot and potato. With 7 simple ingredients, you can easily make this Chinese style shiitake mushroom carrot potato dish. I hope this dish will give you that comfort you are looking for on these chilly winter days.
- 7 medium size dry shiitake mushrooms
- 2 pounds potatoes, white or yellow, peeled
- 3 medium size carrots
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, gluten-free if desired
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Soak dry shiitake mushrooms in hot water for at least 20 minutes until they are soft. Trim off the hard stems and cut them into bite-size pieces.
- Clean and peel potatoes. Cut potatoes and carrots into approximately 1½” pieces so they can be cooked evenly with the shiitake mushrooms.
- Use cooking spray to coat the slow cooker. Toss together all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover with lid and let it cook on high for 3 hours.