The weather outside may be frightful, but sipping this cup of hot chocolate on my couch with a good book is way better than delightful. Unlike any store-bought hot chocolate, this homemade vegan coconut hot chocolate is 100% naturally sweetened. It has a creamy texture and a rich tropical flavor. A spoonful of golden roasted coconut shreds on top make this drink even more enjoyable.
During the past 10 years, I’ve bought, on two separate occasions, a small package of hot chocolate mix. I remember my excited anticipation as I mixed a packet in some hot milk. However, that excitement was soon squashed due to its sweetness being way beyond what my taste buds can handle.
unsweetened baking chocolate
unsweetened coconut shreds
stevia and agave nectar
a pinch of salt
While heating coconut milk in a saucepan on the stove, I chopped some unsweetened baking chocolate. When the coconut milk was hot but not boiling, I added the finely chopped chocolate and stirred until most of the chocolate was melted. Be sure not to boil the coconut milk because too high temperature will make the cocoa butter (from chocolate) totally separate from the liquid and this process is irreversible.
All of the natural ingredients make this vegan hot chocolate indispensable during the chilly winter months. As a result of its amazing taste and visual appeal, you shouldn’t be surprise if this coconut hot chocolate steals your attention from the book you are reading. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut shreds
- 2-1/2 cups coconut milk (homemade or from carton)
- 2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate bars (Baker’s), finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon pure stevia extract powder (Now brand)
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream (see note)
- Preheat oven at 350 °F. Place coconut shreds onto a metal baking sheet and bake for 4 to 5 minutes until they are golden brown.
- While the coconut shreds are roasting in the oven, heat coconut milk in a saucepan until it just starts boiling on the edge. Turn off the heat and add chopped chocolate, stevia, agave nectar, sea salt, vanilla extract. Stir constantly until all chocolate is melted. Use a blender to mix it smooth, if necessary.
- Transfer the hot chocolate into a cup and top with coconut cream and roasted coconut shreds. Serve hot.