Finding a great movie may be harder than finding a bag of healthy popcorn to enjoy. However, making a giant bowl of this vegan sea salt chocolate popcorn is definitely much easier than producing a decent, entertaining movie. Agree? Popcorn and movies, as always, have been a classic combination.
A couple weeks ago, my winter semester started. What am I up to this time? Video production. I definitely enjoyed all my photography classes in the past. This time, I’ll be moving from telling a story with still images to doing it with moving images and sound. I’m excited about this opportunity to learn about all the steps and elements that go into making great videos.
After my first class, I told my teacher that I hadn’t watched any movies except Thomas the Tank Engine with my son, Leo, in the past three years. The last time Brad and I watched a movie was the night before my water broke. Life got so busy that we hadn’t even realized we missed our movie night with popcorn all that time.
My teacher then handed me a movie to take home and enjoy. So, I made a big bowl of this perfectly sweetened, wholesome chocolate popcorn for the movie. It made watching the movie with Brad a very pleasurable experience. Compared to any store-bought popcorn, this is definitely the best and almost effortless.
Last Christmas, my parents-in-law bought us this awesome popcorn machine. Ever since then, making a healthy, low sugar, low sodium, and gluten-free snack at home can happen in just a few minutes. (I do wish this machine has a switch button, but overall, it’s fantastic).
Making this vegan sea salt chocolate popcorn from scratch is not hard at all. All you need are 5 ingredients:
Organic popcorn kernels
Coconut oil (nut-free)
Pure stevia extract powder
I melt the coconut oil in a large bowl first and then mix in the sea salt, cocoa powder, and stevia. Toss the freshly made popcorn in and give it a really good mix. Then bake it in the oven for a few minutes. How simple and healthy is that!
I’m sure you’ll definitely enjoy this healthy popcorn more than any store-bought ones. Be sure not to start the movie without it. What a tragedy it is to go through watching a good movie without the additional delightful experience of munching on this popcorn.
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, special dark preferred
- ⅛ teaspoon pure stevia extract powder or more to taste
- ⅓ cup organic popcorn kernels
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- To make the sea salt chocolate coating: In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the popcorn kernels. Use a fork to whisk them together well.
- Use an air-pop popcorn machine to pop the kernels and collect the popcorn directly into the large bowl with the sea salt chocolate coating. Toss to give it a really good mix.
- Transfer the popcorn into a baking pan. Bake 8-10 minutes. Remove the baking pan from the oven and let it cool for 2 minutes before serving. Serve immediately.
If any leftover popcorn became soft, return it back to 350 °F oven and bake for 2 minutes.
*This post contains affiliate links.