Entering “vegan cheese cake” in a google search always leads to these two types of recipes: tofu or cashew nuts based cheesecake. My mango cheesecake is made from soft tofu that has the silky smooth texture. It has a sweet and rich tropical flavor from a mango and coconut cream, and has a drizzle of homemade chocolate glaze. Making a dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, no-sugar added cheesecake at home is no longer just a dream.
I often have read peoples comments on tofu vegan cheesecake, saying that it’s plain and has a tofu taste. This gave me the idea of adding a carefully selected ripe mango and some rich and creamy coconut cream to enhance the flavor. A healthy plant based protein rich cheesecake no longer has to be plain and boring. Unlike many recipes, I used a package of the soft tofu instead of firm. Although soft tofu contains more water than firm tofu, it offers a much more mild soy taste and a smoother texture.
Cream cheese is the main ingredient in dairy cheesecake. It gives the cheesecake a tangy and creamy taste. If you’re trying to mimic this dairy cheesecake flavor, you can add a cup of non-dairy yogurt to give it a touch of that tangy flavor with the added benefit of live probiotics. This is definitely optional, since this cheesecake tastes terrific without yogurt.
- 1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin + 2 tbs warm water use 2 tsp agar powder and 2 tbs boiled water for 100% vegan option if desired
- 10 oz soft tofu
- ¾ cup coconut cream
- 6 oz non-dairy yogurt
- ¼ tsp stevia
- 1 large ripe mango peeled and pitted
- For the Chocolate Glaze and Garnishing
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate
- ½ tbs agave nectar
- 1 tbs non-dairy milk
- 10-15 raspberries
- Preheat oven at 350 °F. Lightly spray a springform baking pan with oil.
- Mix all crust ingredients in a mixing bow. Put the mixture in the bottom of the springform pan, and gently press down on the mixture, using your fingers and palm, until the mixture is spread to a nice even layer at the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all cheesecake filling ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Take the springform pan out of the oven, and let it cool for 5 minutes before pouring in the cheesecake filling.
- Refrigerate the cheesecake for at least 2 hours or until the filling is firm.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in microwave. Be careful not to burn the chocolate! Add the nectar agave and non-dairy milk. Combine well, and let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Drizzle a desired amount of chocolate glaze on top of chilled cheesecake. Garnish with raspberries. Serve immediately.