After sprinkling a pinch of roasted unsweetened shredded coconut on top, this fresh homemade rich and creamy coconut ice cream is ready to enjoy. It is vegan and absolutely no sugar was added. I used pure stevia extract powder as the sweetener in this recipe. I think it did a good job and gives a clean sweet taste without stealing the thunder of the coconut flavor. Another great part of this ice cream is that it only needs a few simple ingredients: coconut cream, coconut milk, stevia, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
When I was a child, ice cream was a rare sweet treat that we only had during the summer. I still remember the first time my Mom bought me an ice cream bar called Little Snowman Ice Cream (娃娃头雪糕), a signature snack that many Chinese kids of the 80’s have fond memory of. I discovered ice cream doesn’t belong to just the summer when my American friends served me blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream on top on a cold crisp wintery day. Ice cream is all year round in most American homes, grocery stores, and of course ice cream shops.
Pictures are provided by courtesy of friends in Xi’An, China. Many many thanks to Na and her husband.
There are not a lot of choices when it comes to vegan and no-sugar-added ice cream. The best we can find in stores is pricy and artificially sweetened. However, I prefer to use natural sweetener such as stevia in our homemade ice cream.
I make our ice cream using my cusinart ice cream maker. I mix all ingredients together and then pour into the ice cream maker. A soft ice cream will be done in 20 minutes. I normally put this freshly made ice cream in the freezer for 45 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
I used pure coconut milk to make this recipe before. It had the fresh coconut flavor, but was not as creamy as regular dairy ice cream. After some thought, I added coconut cream and that did the trick.
- 1 can 14 oz coconut cream
- 1 can 13.5 oz coconut milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pure stevia extract powder
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup of nuts cookies, or chopped fruits (optional)
- ¼ cup roasted unsweetened shredded coconut optional
- Pour coconut cream in a large mixing bowl; place it in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Mix in coconut milk, salt, stevia, and vanilla extract and stir well with spatula.
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and freeze. This process may take 20 minutes to 1 hour depending on the kind of the ice cream maker you are using. Follow the manufacturer’s instruction to achieve the desired consistency.
- (Optional) Stir in 1/2 cup of chopped nuts, cookies, or fruits for variety.
- Place the ice cream in freezer for 1 hour. Serve with roasted coconut on top.
1. This ice cream is best when served fresh. If the ice cream is stored in the freezer for more than one day it will be stiff. Remove from freezer 30 to 45 minutes before serving. The texture will be a little bit icy.
2. To prepare roasted coconut: place shredded coconut on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 375 °F for 5 minutes or till it is slightly brown.