Let me guess! You stopped here to look at this marinated mushrooms recipe because you probably like mushrooms. At least, you don’t hate them. Am I right? I’m sure these marinated mushrooms with lemony flavors will increase your affection for mushrooms even more.
I find my friends either really like mushrooms or hate them, and the haters won’t even give them a second chance. Some mushroom species, like shitake mushrooms, have a strong woody and earthy flavor that some people may not appreciate. I’m the one who really enjoys them because of their strong flavor. That unique and distinct flavor can make an interesting vegetable broth, especially in the vegan miso soup when combined with seaweeds.
Compared to shitake mushrooms, baby bella mushrooms are almost tasteless. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mean that in a negative way. They just don’t have a real distinct flavor. Because of this, you can use them in almost any dish without dominating the flavor of the entire dish. So, be creative with your bella mushrooms and make your favorite marinated mushroom dish.
That being said, I’m excited to be sharing with you one of my favorite flavor combinations: marinated mushrooms with lime. With this simple homemade marinating sauce, these baby bella mushrooms soak up the intense lemony flavor very well. These marinated mushrooms are:
Fantastic Potluck Choice
Foolproof to Make
Vegan, Gluten-free, and Nut-free
Are you ready to join me in making some today? Besides bella mushrooms and lime, the addition of red onion, red bell pepper, and fresh cilantro leaves really brings this dish alive with colors. With just a few minutes of simple preparation, you can easily serve this colorful, appealing, and refreshing dish that will impress everybody at the table, even those who are not big mushroom fans.
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- ½ small red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten-free if desired)
- 1 teaspoon organic coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (squeezed from fresh lime)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (from half lime)
- Use cold water to rinse the mushrooms and then pat dry them with paper towel. Cut the mushrooms in half lengthwise.
- Heat a sauté pan over high heat. Add oil after the pan is hot and then wait for 15 seconds until the oil is hot. Reduce the heat to medium and add halved mushrooms. Saute until the mushrooms start getting soft. Approximately 2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the red onion, red pepper, 2 tablespoons of cilantro leaves, and the marinating sauce ingredients. Toss in mushrooms and combine gently. Cover the mixing bowl with lid and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Garnish with the remaining cilantro leaves and serve.