Let me introduce this refreshing mint and lime flavored watermelon kefir slushie to you before this summer is gone. Unlike most of the fruit slushies, this watermelon kefir slushie contains much lower carbs and has only approximately 120 calories per serving.
Whenever I talk about water kefir, I can’t say enough about how much I love its flavor, how versatile it is, and how many health benefits it delivers to our body. Recently, I made a batch of ginger blueberry water kefir punch, followed by a request from my family to make a larger batch next time. Because my son, Leo, is crazy about watermelon these days, this watermelon kefir slushie is a new addition to his favorite fruit snack list.
I adapted this recipe from one of my favorite food blogs here. First, I blended some watermelon and filtered it through a fine-mesh strainer to remove most of the pulp. I added some water kefir (not water kefir grains) to this resulting watermelon juice and left it out at room temperature to ferment overnight. I also froze some watermelon chunks on a baking sheet in the freezer while waiting for the watermelon juice to ferment.
Not only does the fermentation by the water kefir give the watermelon juice a hint of fizzy and tangy taste, but it also consumes the natural sugar in the watermelon, producing beneficial and friendly gut bacteria. This process also results in lowering the carbs and calories. At this point, you can drink the water kefir fermented watermelon juice (let’s call it watermelon kefir juice) as a healthy probiotic drink.
Now lets move on to incorporating the other ingredients that make this healthy kefir slushie an addictive treat. Mint is perfect for the hot summer, am I right? I planted some chocolate mint in a pot this year, and they are thriving. Chocolate mint? Does that sound good to you? I was so surprised that these bright little green leaves offer such a strong refreshing cool smell and taste with a surprising touch of chocolate flavor. These leaves offer fabulous taste in drinks as well as salads.
I also added some fresh squeezed lime juice and a pinch of salt to bring out all the other flavors. With all these ingredients on hand, you can make this bright red, refreshingly tangy kefir slushie in minutes. I’m glad the watermelon I picked was perfectly ripe and sweet, so I didn’t need to add any sweeteners to the slushie.
Are you ready to sit down with Leo and me to enjoy this healthy, low calorie, naturally sweetened, refreshing watermelon kefir slushie?
- 16 oz 454 grams diced watermelon cubes
- 10 mint leaves
- ¼ cup water kefir
- 24 oz 680 grams frozen diced watermelon cubes
- ¾ cup watermelon kefir juice
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- optional 2 mint sprigs for garnishing
- Use a knife to cube a ripe seedless watermelon. Blend the 16 oz of watermelon cubes with mint leaves until smooth and then pour it through a fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl to collect the juice. Discard the pulp.
- Pour the watermelon juice into a glass jar and add water kefir. Cover with lid and let it stand at room temperature for at least 18 hours.
- Line the baking dish with parchment paper and then place the 24 oz of diced watermelon cubes into the baking dish. Freeze 4 hours until firm.
- Add all watermelon slushie ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve immediately.
- (Optional) Add natural sweetener, such as pure stevia extract powder, for extra sweetness.
See link for making water kefir: https://lightorangebean.com/water-kefir/