Do you sometimes prepare meals for those busy weekdays on the weekend?
You probably don’t want to spend most of your weekends cooking in the kitchen either, right?
This one-pan lemon chicken with Brussels sprout dish is an absolutely simple, easy, but flavorful recipe you should make this coming weekend.
Not every dish is one you can prepare ahead of time. Also, not every make-ahead dish will taste as good as fresh made ones. However, with this lemon chicken recipe, the extra sitting time in refrigerator doesn’t affect the flavor at all. No, I should say it actually enhances the flavor.
For chicken dishes made ahead of time, I prefer chicken thigh to chicken breast. Chicken thigh has slightly higher fat content than chicken breast, which makes it good in many slow cooking recipes, giving it better taste and texture. Whenever I reheat my left over chicken breast dishes in the microwave, they tend to pop and become very dry. The extra fat in chicken thigh helps retain the moisture when the dish is reheated.
In this recipe, simply marinate the chicken thigh with herbs, spices, and lemon zest for at least two hours (overnight marinating to get the best results) and then brown the chicken thighs in a pan for a few minutes. Toss in fresh Brussels sprouts and lemon slices. Then cook with the chicken thighs for an extra 15 minutes at medium low heat with cover on.
You will be amazed how well the Brussels sprouts absorb the juice and flavor from the chicken and how crispy-tender the chicken is. Sprinkle some fresh green onions and serve with some lemon wedges and this simple, flavorful, and appetizing chicken dish is ready for the busy weeknights.
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium lemons
- 1 teaspoon organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce gluten-free if desired
- 1 teaspoon vodka optional
- 6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 oz Brussels sprouts cut lengthwise in half
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion for garnishing
- In a mixing bowl, combine minced garlic, lemon zest and juice from one lemon, sugar, salt, rosemary, soy sauce, and vodka. Add chicken in the mixing bowl and mix well until the chicken thighs are evenly coated with the marinade. Cover the mixing bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (refrigerate overnight for best result). Turn the chicken thigh over halfway through the marinating time.
- Heat a sauté pan over high heat until it is hot. Add canola oil and wait for approximately 15 seconds until the oil is hot. Add the marinated chicken thigh into the sauté pan, skin-side down. Reduce the heat to medium. Sear both sides until golden brown. Approximately 5 minutes on each side and turn over twice.
- Add Brussels sprouts into the saucepan with cut-side down. Sauté for a minute. Add water and cover the sauté pan with lid. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Add more water (2 tablespoons at a time) if necessary to prevent burning the chicken.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and serve with lemon wedges.