Would you like to add more colors to this charming salad? Please do! The more, the merrier! Step up, all my friends! Please fill your bowl with this healthy, appealing, and delectable rainbow red cabbage salad.
Like adding colors to salads, I also love to serve my family all sorts of vegetables. Mixing some green lettuce, shredded red cabbage, carrots, grapefruit, sliced avocado, and sliced almonds together, this rainbow salad is just that simple, as well as very healthy. It pairs really well with my homemade ginger lime tahini dressing with a kick of strong Asian flavor.
Why did I choose red cabbage instead of green cabbage? Now I’m starting to sound like my 3-year-old son, Leo, who asks why for almost everything these days. Here is what happened one day when he was choosing a bowl for his snack.
Leo (L): “Mama, which bowl should I use? The red one or the green one?”
Mama: “The red one.”
Does that really matter for this?
Fortunately, it was quite easy to choose between red and green for this salad. Although they both taste a bit peppery in salads, the red one seems have a more earthy taste. With a higher vitamin C in red cabbage and the vibrant color, red cabbage beats the competition for this salad recipe. No doubt!
Because the red (or purple) dye in red cabbage is pH-dependent (that means the color changes when the acidity changes), adding some lemon or lime juice, or apple cider vinegar is the best way to preserve the bright vibrant color. The peppery taste and crunchy texture tastes best with a creamy dressing (such as the ginger lime tahini dressing or Jalapeño Ginger Dressing).
Are you ready for another bowl yet? I bet you can’t get enough of this refreshing salad. If you’d like to make it a whole-meal salad, add some oven baked tofu or chickpeas. Enjoy!
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage (discard the tough outer layer of leaves and stems),
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, sliced
- ¼ cup carrot, shredded
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and membrane removed
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 teaspoons roasted white sesame seeds
- ¼ cup ginger lime tahini dressing or other creamy dressing
- In a large salad mixing bowl, toss shredded red cabbage, romaine lettuce, carrot, grape fruit, and almonds together. Arrange sliced avocado on top and sprinkle roasted white sesame seeds on top to garnish. Serve with ginger lime tahini dressing.