Summer is here! I guess it is hard to ignore summer squash in this season. My husband always tells me the different prices of summer squash from our local grocery store advertisement. Our family loves summer squash. I should say, they live in our refrigerator crisper all year round. Not only are their colors pleasing to our eyes, but also they tell your stomach: “We are good stuff.”
fun shopping colorful summer squash at our local grocery store
Two years ago, I invited my parents-in-law and sister-in-law’s family over for dinner during the Memorial Holiday weekend. I was going through a few food magazines to get some ideas about some summer salad recipes. This zucchini squash with roasted almond and those bright green mint sprigs caught my eyes. It is so easy to make and tastes definitely fabulous. Well, I think it is time to share this with you before the summer is over.
You need three main ingredients for this recipe: yellow squash or zucchini squash, roasted almonds, and some mint sprigs. Cut the squash in half and slightly brown the white part of squash either use a pan on a stove or in oven. That’s pretty much all the cooking needed in this recipe. During the time of cooking squash, I clean a few mint sprigs and mix lemon juice and olive oil with salt and fresh ground black pepper. It takes me only 10 to 15 minutes to make this dish; is that quick and simple? I really love the taste of fresh mint. It really gives you a cool feeling in your mouth. The elegant bright green color will make your table perfect for the summer. I hope you will enjoy this recipe.
Halved zucchini squash just came out from my skillet pan, ready for the next step.
- 2 lbs Zucchini halved lengthwise
- 5-6 Fresh mint sprigs
- 1 cup roasted almonds
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbs Lemon juice
- Fresh mint leaves for garnishing
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking in oven: Preheat oven to 500 °F. Lay the zucchini on a baking sheet with skin side up. Bake for 8 minutes, or until the zucchini fleshy side are golden brown. Cooking on stove top: Lay the zucchini in a skillet pan with skin side up. Keep the stove at medium and cover the skillet with a lid. About 8 minutes or check more often to make sure the zucchini fleshy side is brown. Meantime, clean mint sprigs. Mix olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Let the zucchini cool slightly and then slice into half-moons.
- In a large bowl, mix the zucchini, mint sprigs, and almonds. Drizzle with the oil-lemon juice mixture and toss.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves before serving.
This dish can be served cold also.