Do you cook roasted potatoes more often on holidays or special occasions than on ordinary weekdays? Although I make my favorite spicy and sour shredded potato on a regular basis all year round, I also love this hearty roasted potato recipe as another side dish option. Look at these perfectly roasted golden potatoes, don’t you wish you could pick up a fork and have a bite right now?
Let me tell you that making this recipe is not hard at all. You can make it in only 30 minutes on a busy weekday. All you need are 8 simple and commonly seen ingredients:
yellow (golden) potatoes
fresh rosemary sprigs
lemon (juice + zest)
(optional) cilantro leaves for garnishing
Compared to white potatoes, yellow potatoes have much thinner skin, less starchy contents, have twice the vitamin C, and work better in roasted preparations. They have a subtle sweet taste and a waxy, buttery texture. Because of the unique texture, using less oil or butter in recipes makes the yellow potato dish a lighter version of baked or mashed potatoes. If you would like to have some contrast texture, you can keep the skin (of course clean it very well to ensure no dirt left) during baking. The thin skin of the yellow potatoes adds a touch of crispiness that contrasts the smooth potato flesh. Yellow potatoes also pair well with garlic and herbs such as rosemary. You’ll love it!
In order to make sure this dish stands out on your dinner table, I strongly recommend using the fresh rosemary sprigs and garlic instead of the dry ones. I felt it gives a more intense flavor and produces a much stronger aroma to the dish. In the end, right before you serve this toasty warm golden potato dish, sprinkle the fresh lemon zest and fresh cilantro leaves on top to give it an extra zing!
At this point, I hope you have already made up your mind and want to add this recipe to your list. You’ll appreciate how simple and easy it is to make these fabulous roasted potatoes, especially when you have a busy schedule.
- 1.5 lbs yellow potatoes
- 1 small lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika powder
- optional 1 tablespoon minced cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 °F. Line the metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and keep the skin. Cut the potatoes into 1-1/2 inch cubes.
- Use a cheese grater to collect zest from the small lemon, save for later. Squeeze fresh lemon juice into a mixing bowl and then add olive oil, minced rosemary leaves (from one sprig), minced garlic, salt, and paprika powder. Whisk briefly and then toss in potatoes.
- Transfer the potatoes onto the prepared baking pan. Bake 25 minutes or until the potato cubes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove the baking pan from oven. Gently toss and combine lemon zest and cilantro leaves. Garnish with the remaining rosemary spring if desired. Serve immediately.