Although I was planning to serve this frozen kefir slushie as kefir ice cream, I wasn’t able to finish all my photo shoots before the ice cream melted. This melting makes taking pictures of frozen treats challenging if not frustrating. In this case though, it resulted in a better treat than my original design. Not disappointed at all!
I have been making homemade milk kefir for almost 7 years. Homemade milk kefir contains far more superior beneficial bacteria and yeast, and far less sugar than any store-bought yogurt or kefir. It’s also thrifty. For those reasons and more, I will continue growing and consuming my own milk kefir with no plan to ever stop.
Properly grown milk kefir is a fun and enjoyable drink. It’s creamy, thick, and fizzy, with a mild, yet pleasant sour taste. It’s versatile and can be used in many recipes. If you are interested in making your own milk kefir, you can find more information from my blog post here.
For those of you who prefer the dairy-free milk kefir, check this blog post “how to make soy milk kefir”. Also, if you prefer a yeast-free and dairy-free milk probiotic drink (no kefir grain used), stay tuned for that upcoming post. Now, nobody is left behind.
To make this rich, creamy, and healthy frozen kefir slushie, you only need a few ingredients. They are
Homemade milk kefir (whole milk)
Unsweetened chocolate bars
(optional) pure stevia powder
(optional) chocolate chips
Due to the lack of sugar (most ice cream recipes are high in sugar), the frozen milk kefir has some crunchy icy texture. This, however, turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Without an ice cream maker, you still can enjoy ice cream at home if you use this method. If you don’t want to wait that long for the milk kefir to freeze completely, or your ice cream melted too much while serving, you can make this amazing creamy slushie. Remember to pass along a straw and a spoon when you serve the frozen kefir slushie.
To be honest with you, I prefer a slushie to ice cream. This is absolutely one of the most satisfying summer energy drinks. The rich chocolate and banana flavor with a touch of spicy cinnamon will definitely make your day. Enjoy!
- 1¾ cups homemade whole milk kefir (see note)
- 1 large ripe banana
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- (optional) ¼ teaspoon pure stevia extract powder (Now brand)
- ½ oz unsweetened chocolate bar, melted
- (optional) 1 teaspoon chocolate chips for garnishing
- In a blender, puree together milk kefir and banana. Transfer the mixture into an airtight container. Freeze the mixture for 2 hours.
- Remove the container from the freezer. The mixture should be like a hard frozen ice cream. If the mixture is too hard at this point, let it stand at room temperature and thaw a little bit until you can use a scoop to remove it from the container.
- Transfer the frozen banana kefir into a food processor (or blender). Add cinnamon powder, stevia, and melted chocolate bar. Blend until smooth.
- Garnish with chocolate chips and serve immediately. The texture will be soft and somewhat runny.
To make dairy free milk kefir, see link: https://lightorangebean.com/how-to-make-soy-milk-kefir/