I have never met a single Chinese who doesn’t like this stir-fried spicy and sour shredded potato. It is a simple and quick dish you can find in most restaurants in China. When I was dinning out with my friends in China, we almost always ordered this dish. This dish is familiar to most Chinese just like baked potatoes are commonly seen in the American cuisine.
This appetizing, crispy shredded potato has just the right amount of sourness and bold spiciness. It goes very well with any kind of dish, vegetables or meat. When I still lived with my parents, our family had a “rule” that whenever there was a little bit of this potato left on the serving plate, we had to ask my brother if he wanted to finish it off. Most of the time he would. I can never forget the time my Dad emptied the dish without asking him and he cried and cried with a flood of tears. He was around 10 years old at that time. From then on, my parents always made a large batch.
Use a knife or food processor to shred the potato, rinse off the extra starch from the potato to enhance the crispy texture, then stir-fry with fresh ginger and dried or fresh chili pepper. Once the thin potato shreds are translucent, the dish is done. The total time of frying is about 2 to 3 minutes.
Compared to French fries, this stir-fried shredded potato is not greasy at all. It’s also healthier because the short cooking time preserves the antioxidants. It can be served either hot or cold.
- 2 medium size potatoes russet or white, peeled, approximately 15 oz
- 1 tbs canola oil
- ¼ tsp finely chopped ginger
- ½ piece dried chili pepper
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Optional finely chopped green onion for garnishing
- Use a knife or food processor to cut the potatoes into shreds.
- Place the shredded potato in a colander, rinse with cold water thoroughly to remove the extra potato starch. Drain the water well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add ginger and chili pepper. Stir occasionally until fragrant.
- Add shredded potato. Stir constantly for one minute. Add vinegar and salt. Stir-fry for another minute or till the shredded potatoes are translucent. Garnish with green onion on top. Serve hot or cold.