Do you have those moments when you feel the urge to satisfy your sweet-tooth but don’t want to consume any more carbs than necessary? If so, this decadent sugar-free coconut lemon curd will definitely be the right choice for you. Besides being sugar-free, it’s vegan, paleo, and gluten-free.
With this coconut lemon curd, you won’t have the clumping problems that plague traditional lemon curd. This clumping issue often leaves you with a lumpy mess. There is also no need to add sugar to help prevent clumping or to thicken the curd. Sugar prevents the clumping by delaying coagulation of egg proteins.
A traditional lemon curd is a combination of egg, lemon juice, and lots of sugar to achieve the ideal curd texture. I know this is confusing. So let’s avoid all the confusion and headache and make this healthy Sugar-free Coconut Lemon Curd.
Last week at our family get-together dinner for Easter, we talked about the different healthy foods that suit different dietary needs. My brother-in-law, Steve, who recently experienced a heart attack, told us that the average American consumes about 130 lbs of added refined sugar a year. Sounds pretty scary, doesn’t it?
So, how can we eliminate the added sugar and still create the thick texture for a tasty sugar-free lemon curd? You can use pure stevia powder as the main sweetener to balance the tartness of lemon. However, it doesn’t give you the volume that dissolved sugar gives. I used full fat coconut milk as the base of this lemon curd. With the addition of two tablespoons of tapioca starch, this sugar-free coconut lemon curd became dreamy.
Trust me, this sugar-free coconut lemon curd is almost frustration free and fool-proof to make. With the very low carb profile, it is going to be one of your best desserts to serve to those who would like to satisfy their sweet tooth in a much healthier way.
This sugar-free coconut lemon curd is an frustration free, fool-proof, and low carb vegan dessert to make.
- 1 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed from 3 medium size lemons
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest from 2 medium size lemons
- 1 can 14 oz full fat coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon pure stevia extract powder
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder for coloring
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 sprig mint
- In a high speed blender, blend together all ingredients for the lemon curd until smooth. Transfer it into a saucepan and heat over medium heat until it just starts to boil.
- Transfer the lemon curd into a glass bowl and cover it with a sheet of plastic film. The plastic film should touch the surface of the lemon curd to prevent the curd from forming a skin. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to let the curd cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350 ℉. Roast the unsweetened coconut flakes for approximately 4 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Serve the lemon curd cold. Garnish with roasted coconut flakes and mint leaves.