This vegan buffalo tofu burrito bowl is comprised of tangy and crispy roasted tofu, veggies, and brown rice. It’s the best choice for a healthier, easy-to-make, whole-grain, and gluten-free lunch bowl that you can take to work or on a road trip.
Like many of you, I’m a busy mom. We all know that recipes that are easy-to-make and healthy can be life savers. It’s even better if I can make it ahead-of-time.
Surprise-Surprise-Surprise! Seriously. I was very surprised how well this vegan buffalo tofu burrito bowl turned out. My family finished their bowls without even a grain of rice left in their bowl. Serve it warm or cold, it’s fantastic either way.
Roasted tofu is one of my favorite make-ahead vegan protein choices for meals. They are tender on the inside yet crispy on the outside. They can be flavored with various sauces. This time, I chose homemade vegan buffalo hot sauce. This sauce compliments the other flavors very nicely which makes this burrito bowl exceptional. No doubt it’s way much better and healthier than those deep-fried greasy buffalo chicken wings.
This vegan buffalo tofu burrito bowl is really easy to assemble. Just add all of these together:
Roasted tofu with vegan buffalo sauce
Sauteed red onion
My family also loves to add a scoop of vegan sour cream or plain yogurt on top. It adds some extra creamy and tangy taste. Don’t forget to sprinkle minced fresh cilantro leaves to garnish. Why not!
By the way, if you have any leftover brown rice, millet, or quinoa, it works very well too. Simply warm it up in a microwave oven to make them soft and your healthy, whole-grain burrito bowl is good to go.
We are flying down to Disney World next week, and this vegan buffalo tofu burrito bowl will be something I’ll be packing for some of our lunches. So, you won’t see us waiting in the long lines at the busy restaurants there. Hopefully it will work out well. I will definitely let you know how we did on our first long gluten-free trip.
- 1 pound extra firm tofu cut into 1½-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2½ cups cooked brown rice warm or room temperature
- 2½ cups chopped leaf lettuce or other leafy greens
- 1 small red onion
- 1 large ripe avocado sliced
- ¼ cup chopped sweet yellow or red pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegan sour cream or plain yogurt
- optional 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 oz vegan butter
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce gluten-free if desired
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon coconut sugar
- To make the roasted tofu: Preheat oven to 425 ℉. Heat 2 teaspoons of canola oil in a skillet over high heat until the oil is hot. Add tofu cubes and fry until all sides turn slightly brown. Approximately 5 minutes. Transfer the tofu cubes onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast in oven for 15 to 20 minutes until they are golden brown. If you don’t want to use the oven, you can fry the tofu cubes in the skillet over medium-high heat until they are golden brown. Flip them from side-to-side occasionally. It takes approximately 12 minutes.
- While the tofu cubes are roasting. Heat vegan butter in a small sauté pan over medium-low heat until the butter melts. Add the remaining buffalo sauce ingredients. Stir and cook until well combined. Approximately 2 minutes.
- Assemble the burrito bowl and toss the tofu in the sauce.