1. All utensils should be grease free.
2. Refined sugar is working very well for me in this recipe. Do not use honey.
3. The purpose of using paper filter or cheesecloth is to keep out bugs and dust. You can also use plastic wrap, wax paper, or parchment paper.
4. After fermentation, the ready-to-drink kefir should look a little bit more cloudy and lighter in color than the sugar water. With gently shaking the jar, carbon dioxide bubbles can be seen.
5. Although many resources recommend using a plastic strainer, I personally use a stainless steel one and haven’t noticed any sign of killing my kefir grains.
6. Choosing berry, cherry, or pomegranate flavored juice will give better result than orange and lemon juice.